I always tell my clients the number one MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do while TTC is to detoxify first, whether you’re 25 or 45. But not just “any” cleanse will work, and here’s why. A fertility detox (tailored to you) will cleanse your body of substances that can harm your fertility and your developing embryo. A fertility cleanse will focus on two things: supporting the liver to cleanse the body of toxins and excess hormones, and encouraging the release of old stagnant blood from the uterus while tonifying and increasing blood to the uterine tissues. This is so critical to enhance the chances of conception.
We are exposed to micro doses of chemicals on a daily basis from our food, water supply, and chemicals in our environment. Everything we put into our mouths, breathe in, and put on our skin has an effect on our fertility. They can be good or BAD for our fertility. Toxins can be left in our bodies from:
- Hormonal birth control
- Cigarette smoke
- Excess hormones
- Household chemicals
- Poor diet
Now here is the scary part, maternal and paternal toxins have been shown to change the genetic expression of the fetus and is linked to obesity, diabetes, attention disorders, autism and childhood leukemias. Yikes!
Toxins have been scientifically linked to:
- An increase in medical conditions such as reduced sperm count and quality, PCOS, Endometriosis
- Sperm DNA changes
- Changes in ovarian function and menstruation
- Chromosomal damage to oocytes
- Delayed pregnancy
- Altered embryonic development increasing risk of spontaneous abortion, and stillbirth.
Found in numerous plastics, food containers, canned foods, household products, and pesticides, these toxins can alter your endogenous hormone levels (especially estrogen), wreaking havoc on your endocrine system. It is best to avoid these chemicals, including:
- ‘Xeno’estrogens (birth control, hormone replacement therapies, meat products with added hormones, pesticides, emulsifiers, etc).
The good news? Many of these toxins get stored in the fat tissues of the body and can be released quicker through cleansing. Healing, improving digestion, reducing inflammation, expelling excess hormones, and providing a clean environmental are essential for conception to take place. So what to do?
First, consider if you need a cleanse. You should consider cleansing if you experience:
–Fatigue / Lethargy
–Brain fog, loss of focus/concentration
–A feeling of congestion
–Have you been on birth control or other medications?
–Acne / eczema / psoriasis / itchy skin
–Infrequent bowel movements
–Dark circles under eyes
–Menses: cramps, blood clots, dark blood
–Do you eat conventional animal products?
–Poor immune system
and of course, INFERTILITY.
BEFORE you cleanse…
You want to connect with a holistic fertility specialist or fertility coach who is knowledgeable in fertility cleanses for you and your partner.
The best way to cleanse the liver and uterus is by incorporating the following 6 things:
- Reduce your exposure to toxins by eating organic, using all natural soaps and cleansers in the home, and using organic makeup and body products.
- Incorporate a Uterine massage with castor oil three times per week or Castor Oil Packs over the liver.
- Eat an organic, whole foods diet free from sugar, gluten, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, eggs, red meat, and processed foods. Drink LOTS of water.
- Drink detoxing teas that include Milk Thistle or Dandelion root
- Incorporate green juices with detoxifying foods such as beets, lemon, cayenne, kale, spirulina, wheatgrass, and turmeric.
- Infrared Saunas on a weekly basis
These 6 things are just a basic start to cleansing for your fertility, and this practise should be continued for at least 2 months prior to conception.